Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Altered Books

You might not know what an altered book is. I didn't know until a few years ago and I've wanted to give it a go ever since. Basically you take a book and you use any and all creative means necessary to make it something else. Some artists have a theme in mind, some artists just go with the flow. Basically its the art of self expression...and they're beautiful.

This first group below is what I categorize as a 'paper cutting' altered book. They are amazing! I can't even begin to imagine the patience a person must have to do this sort of work. I personally would give up after five minutes. The next type of altered book is more my style. It's color, paint, glitter, images, stickers, ribbon, etc. etc. etc. This is my kind of beautiful chaos.




By Tom Bendtsen
By Su Blackwell


By Brian Dettmer

By Brian Dettmer



By Jennifer Hibbard


I don't have the name of the artist who created the book below, but I found it here. Isn't it amazing! I want to start something like this right now, but unfortunately the semester just started up and I don't have the time for it at the moment. Some day!!!





2 comments:

  1. I love these! I especially love the one with the words. There's something about the aesthetics of words that's completely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I wish I could get a better look at that one. I wonder if the way the words are cut out creates a story all on its own.

    ReplyDelete